Fashion thrives off styles with no expiration date, and custom made clothes and accessories are timeless. You get to add a piece of your personality in every design, resulting in a more accurate self projection through personal style. Rep your personal brand at it’s best with an Urban Couture piece that says a thousand words without costing a thousand dollars.
Designer bags are your addiction. It’s not all about name brands, the quality and craftsmanship validates what’s on your arm. Defining characteristics can depend on trends, but the main components of a great bag are functionality, that it’s aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and well crafted with good quality materials. With champagne taste on a budget that’s killing you like $2.00 forty ounces; you can’t quite satisfy that subtle taste for the finer things. Money for luxury indulgences is no longer a phone call, or come up away.
Think outside the box and get loose, try something new and different. Now, when the waiting list is up for that other really expensive bag, you know what to do to design your own that’s one of a kind..
Supplies and Tips:
- Choose good soft leather and consult a specialist before you spend your money. Leather is unforgiving so once you sew through it it’s final.
- Purchase quality thread that is specifically for leather, like embroidery or upholstery thread
- Use a rolling cutter or exacto knife for precision lines
- Condition and treat the leather first
- White marking chalk or pencil
- Large piece of muslin or scrap fabric to use as an ironing cloth
- consider drawing out your idea on tissue paper or tracing paper before you start stitching
Body(leather)-Following the direction of the backbone and spine of the hide as the grainline, use a ruler and draw a 25X13 rectangle. Cut out the rectangle. Starting clockwise from the LH corner, mark 4 corners A,B,C,D. Cut out the body. Using the hammer, beat the leather to soften it and give it more body. Measure 12″ down from A and mark Ee, then measure 12″ down from B and mark Ff. After the beat down, set aside.
Lining -Draw a 25×13 rectangle and starting clockwise from the LH corner, mark 4 corners E,F,G,H. Measure 12″ down from E and mark Ii and measure 12″ down from F and mark Jj. Draw a straight line from Ii to Jj. Cut out the lining, press and set aside.
(Optional)Pocket- Cut a 12×12 square and starting clockwise from LH corner, mark 4 corners I,J,K,L. Cut out and set aside
Add all design details while the purse pattern pieces are flat:
straps, signature motifs on the lining or body, any signature elements, topstitching, embroidery, verbiage, paint, embellishments, rhinestones, studs and the pockets or compartments.*** Check your designs for balance
Attach pocket to lining:
1. Edge stitch pocket and fold K up to J and L up to I, then press.
2. Using a straight stitch, sew 1/8 inch in from IL and JK. Then trim excess fabric.
3. Place pocket in desired place inside the purse, preferable on or below the
Ii-Jj line; and pin into place, hand stitch in, then machine stitch.
Attach lining to body:
1. Edge stitch the lining fabric and complete desired finishing on body
2. Using a ruler, measure 1/8 in from edge all the way around and mark a crease line.
3. Fold and press on the crease line, then straight stitch around the whole edge. Trim and grade the excess fabric.
4. Facing wrong sides together, lay the lining onto the inside body of the bag(match A-E, B-F ,C-G, D-H), secure and edge stitch lining to body( from E-F, F-G, G-H, H-E)
5. Add magnetic clasp or other desired closure.
Closing it up:
1. Fold corners C and D up to the Ee-Ff and beat with a hammer.
2. Using a straigt or zig-zag stitch; sew down the side seams.
3. Fold the A and B Corners over to close.
Don’t forget to check out TSXDH online @www.zazzle.com/tsxdesignhouse
WHAT IS URBAN COUTURE?
URBAN COUTURE ACCESSORIES:
DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT:
Stay tuned,MUAH aaand scene…